The National Service Scheme (NSS) is a Central Sector Scheme of Government of India, Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports. It provides opportunity to the student youth of 11th & 12th Class of schools at +2 Board level and student youth of Technical Institution, Graduate & Post Graduate at colleges and University level of India to take part in various government led community service activities & programmes. The sole aim of the NSS is to provide hands on experience to young students in delivering community service. Since inception of the NSS in the year 1969, the number of students strength increased from 40,000 to over 3.8 million up to the end of March 2018 students in various universities, colleges and Institutions of higher learning havevolunteered to take part in various community service programmes.
The NSS Badge Proud to Serve the Nation:
The motto of National Service Scheme is NOT ME BUT YOU
Benefits of Being a NSS Volunteer:
A NSS volunteer who takes part in the community service programme would either be a college level or a senior secondary level student. Being an active member these student volunteerswould have the exposure and experience to be the following:
- a person who understands human nature
- an accomplished social leader
- an efficient administrator
Objectives of the National Integration Camp
Make the NSS volunteers aware of the following:
- National pride through knowledge about India
- Rich cultural diversity of India
- History of our diversified culture
The camps are held every year which are attended by approximately 1500 NSS volunteers with at least 50% of the volunteers being girl students. These camps are conducted in Himalayan Region in the North and Arunachal Pradesh in North East region. The adventure activities undertaken in these camps includes trekking of mountains, water rafting, Para-sailing and basic skiing.
Objectives of Adventure Program
- Exposure to new vocational possibilities
- Enhance leadership qualities, fraternity, team spirit and risk taking capacity.
- Promote various adventure activities among NSS volunteers
- Infuse the sense of love towards the various regions of India
- Improvement of physical and mental strength